COVID-19 Grocery Store Safety & Weekly Dinner Inspiration
We know these times are unlike any other, and we know you’re doing what you can to keep yourself and your family safe! The grocery store is probably one of the few places you’re going these days, and it’s important that you’re taking the right precautions to slow the spread of COVID-19.
According to the CDC, maintaining a healthy social distance of 6 feet is crucial while grocery shopping. In addition, wearing protective face masks is highly recommended! You don’t need a medical-grade mask, and can easily make your own using a bandana or fabric.
Here are some other precautions you can take while grocery shopping:
· Take your own grocery bags. You can load them yourself at checkout, preventing any unnecessary contact.
· Use hand sanitizer prior to and after shopping. Even better, wear gloves!
· Wipe down your grocery cart before shopping using a disinfecting wipe. Most groceries will do this for you before you get your cart.
When you get home from the store, here’s how you can ensure your items are safe:
· Wash your hands immediately upon entering your home.
· If you didn’t use your own bags, dispose of bags from the grocery store.
· Thoroughly wash and dry all produce.
· Leave non-perishable, packaged items outside or in your garage for 24 hours before bringing inside the house. If the weather doesn’t permit, clean boxes and packages with sanitizing wipes.
Delivery and curbside pickup are the safest ways to grocery shop in order to avoid exposure and slow the spread of COVID-19. If that isn’t an option for you, practice the above precautions – all of these preventative measures are recommended by the Center for Disease Control.
On a positive note, these unprecedented times have brought people together in unique and unlikely ways! We believe there are some silver linings to this challenging event in human history:
· We’re virtually connecting to more people than ever – friends and family from near and far, virtual group fitness, and neighbors.
· We’re cooking at home more, which is great for your health!
· We’re forced to get creative in all aspects of life – at home, at work, with kids and with virtual socializing.
It’s important to establish a new, at-home routine for your life. We’re here to inspire you in the kitchen with plant-based meals your whole family will love!
Here are some simple, inspired meals for your weekly dinner routine.
Meatless Monday rice bowl – use brown or white rice and top with your favorite veggies and protein, avocado, and salsa garnish.
Taco Tuesday – try our Crispy Cauliflower Tacos with Spicy Green Buffalo Sauce & Avocado Cream Slaw!
Lasagna – we love a good veggie-based lasagna made with eggplant or zucchini, or get creative and make your own pasta!
Homemade veggie burgers – there’s tons of great recipes out there, and some of our favorites are made with black beans and sweet potatoes.
Take out – support your favorite local restaurant and order take-out. Some are offering to-go cocktails!
Enchiladas – you’ll love our Cream of Spinach and Cauliflower Enchiladas.
Salad – keep it light and healthy, try our Holiday Salad with Millet Tot Croutons and Cauliflower Wings!
How to Protect Yourself & Others. April 4, 2020. Retrieved from www.cdc.gov.