Jack O Lantern Chili Bread Bowl
Vegan black bean chili with mild peppers, green chilies served in a bread bowl
4 Sourdough bread bowls
½ lb. of your favorite Plant-Based Meat
1 Poblano chili
1 Red bell pepper
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 can black bean
4 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
2 gloves garlic
2 tbsp Olive Oil
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
Bread O Lanterns:
- With a small paring knife, cut off the top of each bread bowl like you would to a pumpkin.
- Remove top and cut off interior bread.
- Pull out the inner bread with your hands, making sure not to puncture the exterior crust.
- With your paring knife, cut three triangles, two for the eyes and one for the nose.
- Flip around each eye and nose having the inner bread facing the outside.
- For the mouth, make two slits at each end of the mouth that protrude all the way through the side.
- While not puncturing the inner layer, carve teeth showing the inner bread for the whole of their mouths.
Black Bean Chili:
- Wash and dry peppers and cilantro.
- Open all cans and rinse strain and the beans.
- On an open gas burner, place both the pepper and chili.
- Allow to char on each side and turn with tongs until all skin is charred.
- Remove from burner and place into a bowl and cover for five minutes.
- On a cutting board, deskin and seed both pepper and chili. Dice to same size as onion.
- In a medium pot, heat to medium heat and add the oil.
- Dice the onion and add to pot. Stir every 2-3 minutes, for 6 minutes.
- Add plant-based meat and stir into the onions.
- Add pepper and chili to pot and stir.
- Add chili powder and cumin and stir.
- Chop garlic and add to pot and stir.
- Add canned tomatoes and strained black beans.
- Cook for 30 minutes on low heat or until all flavors are melting into one.
- Add salt and stir.
- Preheat oven to broil, on a baking tray, place all Bread O Lanterns and tops and broil for 2 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven.
- On your serving plates, place each bread bowl and fill with chili.
- Chop dried cilantro and add to top of chili
- Place top on side.
- Grab some leaves from outside if you live in a place with four seasons, to add to the table for the holiday season.
-Enjoy Chef Ko