Caramelized Onion & Mushroom Benedict with Truffle Hollandaise
Onions & mushrooms on English muffin topped with poached eggs & Truffle Hollandaise
- 2 Servings
- 2 English Muffins
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 6 Button Mushrooms
- ½ Onion
- 1 teaspoon Truffle Salt
- 4 whole raw eggs
- 3 yokes (7 total eggs for recipe)
- 2 lemons (zest one before cutting)
- 1 stick of Butter
- Salt & Pepper (on top of cooked eggs)
Mushrooms & Onions:
- Cut mushrooms and onions into ¼ inch slices. In a hot pan, add butter or oil. Place mushrooms in pan and sear on each side until brown, just past golden. Turn as needed. Remove from pan and add cut onion.
- Turn your burner to low and stir once browning. Add a touch of water to deglaze the pan. Repeat until onions are dark brown. Once finished set aside for muffin.
- In a small saucepan, turn heat to med low and add butter to pan. Allow butter to melt and turn off the heat.
- In a blender add the three egg yolks, 1 teaspoon truffle salt, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Place the top of the blender on removing the smaller center cap. Turn on blender to low and slowly drizzle in your semi-cooled butter. Once all butter is incorporated, blend on high for 11 seconds.
- Place sauce back into small saucepan and set aside.
- In a large pot, fill 3 inches of water, turn heat to high until boiling, then turn to med low. With a large, slotted spoon, mix water counterclockwise until there forms a vortex funnel. Add two eggs at a time and set a cooking timer to four minutes.
- In these next four minutes, assemble the muffin. First toast your muffins, grab a paper towel, place toasted muffins on plate and add the caramelized onion & mushrooms, and be ready for the timer.
- Once eggs are done, remove egg from water carefully with your large, slotted spoon. Dab egg with paper towel to remove any excess water. Place each egg on top of the muffins and add a touch of salt. Repeat with the next set of eggs.
- Once eggs are finished, place the whole saucepan in the large pot used for the eggs to warm your sauce. You can also make a double boiler if you want another pan to clean, which no one wants. Stir the sauce every minute or so, until warm. Finish the dish by pouring the sauce on top of all four eggs and finish with pepper.
-Enjoy Chef Ko